Freedom Not Fear 2008/Skopje
Aus Freiheit statt Angst!
The following events took place in Macedonia as part of the international campaign Freedom Not Fear 2008 :
- 11:00-14:00 - Infostand and distribution of leaflets on the premises of Ss. Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje.
- 12:00-14:00 - Public Debate "Is it really safer with cameras?" at the Faculty of Law “Iustinianus Primus” in Skopje.
- 12:00-14:00 - Distribution of leaflets on the premises of South East European University in Tetovo.
- 12:00-14:00 - Direct public awareness raising action on Macedonia Square in the center of Skopje, including infostand, distribution of leaflets.
During the first event (on Friday) a panel of renowned legal experts, NGO activists and MPs held a public discussion, alongside activities to distribute information to students. Around 150 persons attended the panel, including students, professors, NGO activists and media professionals.
The second event (on Saturday) around 40 volunteers distributed leaflets, posters, and excerpts from the Law on Protection of Personal Data of Republic of Macedonia to the citizens of Skopje. A stand was set up for the citizens to receive more information and where they will have opportunity to record statements about their feelings on surveillance, to be posted online. However, not many citizens were willing to go on camera, and preferred to express their opinions verbally or in writing. Photos from this event are available in Flickr gallery (more on the way).
At both these events the citizens also had an opportunity to fill in a survey regarding the issues of surveillance, privacy and government accountability. Several hundred questionnaires were collected and the results will be published ASAP.
In total, 5000 leaflets and 300 posters with information about FNF and the basic human rights regarding video surveillance in Macedonia in Macedonian and Albanian language were distributed on all the above events. In total about hundred people were involved in supporting activities for the action, in various capacities.
The activities are organized by a group of NGOs:
- Metamorphosis Foundation,
- Foundation Open Society Institute - Macedonia,
- European Law Students' Association Republic of Macedonia,
- Forum for European Journalism Students,
- Youth Educational Forum,
- Macedonian Center for European Education, and
- Internet Hotline Provider - Macedonia,
in close cooperation with the independent regulatory body the Directorate for Personal Data Protection of Republic of Macedonia.
Note: Coincidentally, October 11 is a public holiday in Macedonia, commemorating the uprising against Fascism during World War II (1941)
More info here:
- Announcement on Metamorphosis website in English
- Announcement on Metamorphosis website in Macedonian/Најава на македонски
Facebook events pages for the two activities